Make sure to check out the new site at music-rag.com

10.09.2013

Say Something EP

       A Great Big World has been on the rise since the release of 2011's hit New Year's Eve (that movie where there was just an amalgamation of actors/actresses who wanted a sure way to make money) where their song, "This Is the New Year", was featured. They have released all of their songs on YouTube, thus far, but will be releasing an official Say Something EP on October 15th, whose track-list includes, "Say Something", "This Is the New Year", "There Is An Answer" and "Everyone Is Gay". 
        Everyone has that one person who, for some inexplicable reason, you have given infinite chances to, despite your friends insistence that you leave them, and "Say Something" perfectly personifies that feeling when you finally realize how ridiculous it is that you've waited this long to give up on them ("it was over my head, I know nothing at all"). With lyrics like "I will swallow my pride, you're the one that I love, I'm saying goodbye...say something I'm giving up on you, and I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you" the emotion is clear, and when those vocals seem to break on "I'm giving up on you" as the strings crescendo (about 2:40), it's more than a little heartbreaking. The sentiment behind the music is sweet though, as it's written in the major chord, just slowed down to mimic the minor chord, hinting at the idea that, even though the song, or situation, is devastating, there is still a call for optimism.
       "This Is the New Year" has a fun and cute music video with uplifting lyrics that keep from falling too far into the realm of 'cheesy' with articulate lines like "do not save this for tomorrow, embrace the past and you can live for now", "in the end we have each other, and that's at least one thing worth living for" and "let's tear the walls down that divide us, and build a statue strong enough for two, I pass it back to you, and I will wait for you, 'cus I would give the world...to you", before breaking into a dance worthy guitar riff. 
       Lines like "I am just a sailor in a great big sea, searching for what's meant for me...I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be" and "there is a ripple to every wave, a rhythm to the days and nights...all our thoughts multiply, make a change... one small step is all we need", prove that "There Is An Answer" is just as uplifting as the title suggests. A soft piano interlude before a bridge which states "near or far, oh I believe that love will find us there, through the dark" and then the repetition of "I believe that love will find us there" only reinforces the optimism which surges through all of A Great Big World's songs, resulting in a wonderfully addictive song.
       "Everyone is Gay" has an adorable video and great lyrics ("if you're straight well that's great, you can help procreate, and make gay little babies for the whole human race, make a world we can live in, where the one who you love's not an issue") that make it completely irresistible. A quick piano melody, a solid drum beat, and lyrics which include "we're all just looking for love to change the world, but if the world stops spinning tomorrow, we can't keep running away from who we are" make this a perfect song to end the EP on.
       With strong piano melodies that stubbornly insist on staying in the major chord at all times, unexpected guitar interludes you have to dance to, and expressive lyrics, A Great Big World's Say Something EP is worth checking out. The band's heading out on tour tomorrow so check here to see if they'll be travelling through your town.
- E

No comments:

Post a Comment